Friday, January 10, 2014

Virtual Gaia's 2013 Best Quotes of the Year

Still not the correct John Wesley for the quote, but still the correct John Wesley for the intro pic.


          Seems this year I was a bit late putting this one up, but nevertheless Virtual Gaia's 2013 Best Quotes of the Year is here. Before we jump to the quotes, I have to say that Best Quote of the Week is taking 2014 off. It may return in the future, but for now this will be the final post for Quotes for awhile. And without further ado... Here. We. Go! Hit the jump!!
[Disclaimer: Quotes may not have been spoken in 2013 but were put on the site in 2013]




Virtual Gaia's 2013 Best Quotes of the Year

Number 10: Best Quote of the Week ~ [1/13/13]

          "I believe in intuition and inspiration. At times I feel certain that I am right while not knowing the reason. Imagination is more important than knowledge, because knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world."
~Albert Einstein
My Reason:
          For the past two years Mr. Einstein has made it to the list as either one of the Top Ten or Honorable Mentions and it seems this year is no different. I always like how Einstein talks about the possibilities and importance of the imagination. The reason it's number 10 is because I feel I always have some type of imagination quote on the list. Also, the quote kind of feel like two separate quotes: one of intuition and one of imagination.


Number 9: Best Quote of the Week ~ [5/5/13]: The Return with Marie Curie

          "Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."
~Marie Curie
My Reason:
          This is a good quote. It speaks of understanding and action! It's beautiful comes from its simplicity. History has shown that what we don't understand we usually fear--usually hate. Isolate or repress. But when we understand something it opens up another facet of our world. This quote is small but a lot can be inferred from it.


Number 8: Best Quote of the Week ~ [9/29/13]

          "It's always a mistake to make gods out of men. Yes, but it's equally wrong to make devils."
~Bob "MovieBob" Chipman from The Big Picture: Memorium
My Reason:
          I remember someone saying that Walt Disney probably wasn't any more or less racist they the people of his time, but we all either vilify him as demon in disguise or paint him up as a saint. People, no matters how prominent or famous, are still human. Not saints or devils. I think it is important to remember that.


Number 7: Best Quote of the Week ~ [9/22/13]

          "Basing the future on a past of failure is a terrible idea. You have to believe the future is going to be better and you can be better in it."
~Paraphrasing something that was said at the annual meeting this weekend
My Reason:
          This quote might have been higher (lower) if it wasn't the paraphrased version. It's another good lesson, especially going into the new years. We can always be better. Just because we were the fool before doesn't mean we are the fool today. I mean it is are mistakes they we learn from.


Number 6: Best Quote of the Week ~ [9/1/13]

          "I have spent most of the day putting in a comma and the rest of the day taking it out."
~Oscar Wilde
My Reason:
          In 2013, I, somehow, wrote more than I ever had in my life. I wrote reports, papers, and scripts for college, I wrote the second biggest story I ever written, I wrote how to play books (yes, I'm referring to that as a book), fake lesson plans, and press releases for a card game, I wrote and rewrote scripts and smaller stories, blog stuff, and other miscellaneous stuff! And let me tell you, let me look you in the eyes through this very writing. Oscar Wilde speaks the truth! The goddamn truth!! And let me also tell you, I haven't a clue--even after that year, even after going to this site, even after all the writing--how to use a comma, a semi-colon, a colon! (shaking head) .....The goddamn truth!


Number 5: Best Quote of the Week ~ [3/10/13]

          "If you can't control yourself, something else will."
~Knowledge (from Miles From Nowhere by Nami Mun Chapter 1: Shelter, page 18)
My Reason:
          Another simple, yet potent quote. It's just true. Plus, it's the best sounding and most quote-like quote on the list.


Number 4: Best Quote of the Week ~ [8/25/13]

          "Living without hate for people is almost impossible. There is nothing wrong with fantasizing about revenge. You can have that feeling. You just shouldn't act in it."
~Park Chan-wook
My Reason:
          I like this quote because I feel it's honest. Sometimes we do get pissed at people and fantasize, but I think it's something that a lot of people bottle up and just say, "What? No! I'm friends with everyone at all times." and then burn someone's house down. Here, Chan-wook is saying the fantasy is a way to get it out of your system. Get angry, fantasize, and watch one of his movies, but actually act on the violence.


Number 3: Best Quote of the Week ~ [2/3/13]

          "Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can."
~John Wesley
My Reason:
          I really like message and flow of this quote. Do good, all the time, to everyone. It might have been number 2 if the end wasn't so awkward. It just sounds forced, like it should have read: "As long as ever." or "As long as you can."


Number 2: Best Quote of the Week ~ [8/11/13]

          "Before I read the newspaper, I was uninformed. Now that I have read it, I am merely misinformed. Which is worse?"
~The Scarecrow from Emerald City Confidential
My Reason:
          I really love this and the original Mark Twain quote and in 2013 it felt like I was really trying to find which was worse. I jumping from clockwork orange torture to complete media blackout, to lessening, to just cutting certain things out. I came up with this: You can't be uninformed, still believe some of the information you receive will be and is misinformed, however, above all else, in one of your sources you should believe wholeheartedly.


Number 1: Best Quote of the Week ~ [10/6/13]

          Becky: "My dad's a strong and independent woman. He don't need no man."
          Frasher: "What's he doing with your mom then?"
~Video Games Awesome: Grand Theft Auto V is Awesome - Part 54 - Shutterbug!
My Reason:
          This was so spontaneous, so perfect, so funny. Even out of context it's funny. Even months after I first heard it it's still funny. This was the funniest thing I heard all year. It's not inspirational or self-improving, but it might just get you to smile and laugh on somber days. Seriously, check it out and have a good laugh.


Tradition!! (Now go and buy this book!!)




Honorable Mentions

Number 1Best Quote of the Week ~ [5/26/13]

          "People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway. If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway. If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway. If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway. The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway. Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway. For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway."
~Mother Teresa
My Reason:
          This was a toss up for number 3 as it is pretty much the same quote just said by Mother Teresa. I think in some ways it is a lot better quote with a less generic message than the John Wesley quote, but the flow and conciseness is important to me when choosing these. This is very long and I felt that the John Wesley quote flowed better, though had I spent another day I might have just as easily switched them.


Number 2Best Quote of the Week ~ [11/10/13]: Schoolgirl Scowl Edition

          "I hate all of you! But goddammit, you're all my classmates!"
~Nadeko Sengoku from Monogatari Series Second Season (Season 3 (Technically), Episode 14: Nadeko Medusa, Part 3)
My Reason:
          I enjoyed Monogatari Series Second Season. I really enjoyed the first arc (favorite in the series) and really liked the final arc (Nadeko included). I couldn't stand Nadeko's arc, her especially. But the scene that this quote is from is probably my favorite of the series. And that line was perfect. Sometimes you just feel like that. Like I hate all of you, but goddammit we got work to do so let do! Especially, in schools or that job you hate.


Number 3Best Quote of the Week ~ [9/8/13]

          "There will come a day when these people will have no choice but to move out of their homeland."
~Daesung Lee from a Huffington Post Article
My Reason:
          This quote means absolutely nothing without reading the article it comes from, but when you read it it's a powerful statement about what is happening to these people. Check out the article and see why I just had to mention it.

No comments:

Post a Comment