Monday, January 2, 2012

My Top Ten Best Quotes from my 2011 Best Quotes of the Weeks

Awesome photo whoever made it. Thank You!
          Hey everyone! Happy New Year’s! I’ve decided to do my Top Ten Best Quotes from my 2011 Best Quotes of the Weeks. This is my biggest feature of the site (I did a little over 40 posts for this this year) so why not. I love quotes! If you’re reading this then you, too, love quotes! Without further ado, here are my Top Ten Best Quotes 2011! My Grand list is after the jump.
[Disclaimer: Quotes may or may not have been spoken in 2011 but were put on the site in 2011]




My Top Ten Best Quotes from my 2011 Best Quotes of the Weeks

Number 10: Best Quote of the Week ~ [10/30/11]

          "For more on barren wastelands that might kill you: Google Detroit."
~Greg Miller in his Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Video Review

My Reason:
          Alright, number 10. This one made me burst out laughing when I heard it: One, because I usually watch GameTrailers reviews and I didn’t think IGN made jokes like that; it wasn't expected. Two, because at work we go up to Detroit all the time for meetings and in good fun make fun of Detroit. It's become a in-joke. I had forgotten everyone makes fun of Detroit. Also, I thought the delivery was great and seriously…it’s true!


Number 9Best Quote of the Week ~ [4/3/11]

          "If you don't make a change now, won't the next five years be the same."
~Jim Meyer at Freedom Friday at work

My Reason:
          I couldn’t not put this on my list. I thought about this quote so many times throughout the year because it holds so true. This quote is really simple and anyone would say that it’s true but few people really take it to heart. We become caught up in our habitual rites. The reason it’s not higher is because I think the phrasing doesn’t have a lot of punch to it. It’s something hear and forget about the first time you hear it, but with sequential readings its message becomes more and more engrained in your soul.


Number 8: Best Quote of the Week ~ [3/20/11]

          "So, we had a Supermoon tonight . . . does that mean Sailor Moon finally became a woman?"
~Nash076 on twitter

My Reason:
          If you can’t see why that's funny I just don’t know what to do with you. Just sit in that corner—right there. Yes, there. And play that paddleball. Anyways, it was topical, too! I thought it was just the perfect joke when everyone was talking about the Supermoon. It was one of those jokes that everyone who heard it just thought, “Man, why didn’t I think of that? It’s so obvious!” And months later, it’s still funny.


Number 7: Best Quote of the Week ~ [6/27/11]

          "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
~Albert Einstein

My Reason:
          This is a beautiful quote. I think it goes beyond just saying everyone is special, it’s tasking people to change their perspectives and see people with more clarity. It easy to look at kid in school doing bad in school and say he/she is dumb, but look harder or from a different angle and you’ll find that same kid is a wiz at story telling or is super creative.


Number 6: Best Quote of the Week: Time Three? ~ [3/8/11]

          "I put some DNA in that puppy."
~Brian the Sexual Predator from The Nostalgia Chick.

My Reason:
          This is twisted and sick and Brian’s face and delivery as he said this vile statement was absolutely marvelous! I laughed hella hard at this. It came out of now of nowhere and he seemed so take so much pleasure at saying those words. It made the joke. It's sick, great, and really funny.


Number 5(The first official) Best Quote of the Week ~ [2/19/11]

          "Do not Judge man based on his failures. Judge man on how much he loses, and still comes back."
~Random Bathroom Stall

My Reason:
          The first official Best Quote of the Week quote. When I read this on the bathroom stall I knew I had to put this on the blog and start doing quotes of the week. I really like this quote. I really take this to heart. There are lots of hard thing in life that are hard to even start and if you fail at that thing it kills you. It really takes a lot out of a person to continue to try again and again after they fail  at something and those who do keep fighting should be admired and emulated.


Number 4: Best Quote of the Week ~ [8/21/11]

          "I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth, and I am a citizen of the world."
~Eugene Victor Debs

My Reason:
          This quote brings to mind fond memories of Metal Gear Solid 3 and some of its themes. The world is whole, borderless—there is no East or West. Just Earth. I like that—that mindset. I think it good one to have. So many wars are started over what amounts to petty deputes over differences. My country is the Earth, and I am a citizen of the world.


Number 3: Best Quote of the Week ~ [5/1/11]

          "Take away my people, but leave my factories, and soon grass will grow on the factory floors. Take away my factories, but leave my people, and soon we will have a new and better factory."
~Andrew Carnegie
My Reason:
          I really love what this quote is saying: that without people—just left with your systems or buildings or fame—everything will decay. The importance of others is sometimes lost on us at times. Alone a person can probably go, really far, but with others by their side they can go even further and will less effort. I think this is a really great quote to be remembered. 



Number 2: Best Quote of the Week ~ [10/16/11]

          "To see clearly and without flinching, without turning away, this is agony, the eyes taped open two inches from the sun."
 ~Margaret Atwood (Notes Towards A Poem That Can Never Be Written)
My Reason:
          Miles from Nowhere by Nami Mun was the best novel I read this year. It had lots of great things about it: The characters, story, writing, the fact that it led me to this great quote. In the beginning of the novel, like many other novels, is a quote from another author. This quote really embodied the spirit of the book. It’s harsh, and dark and yet beautiful and meaningful. The words are so clear you don’t just envision it but experience it. It calls to you again and again, leaving an unforgettable impression. This my be my number 2 quote of the year overall, but it’s my number 1 most beautiful quote of year.



Number 1I've Returned (The first, though unofficial, Best Quote of the Week ~ [2/11/11])

          "The Ultimate Rule ought to be: 'If it sounds GOOD to YOU, it’s bitchin’; and if it sounds BAD to YOU, it’s shitty.' The more varied your musical experience, the easier it is to define for yourself what you like and what you don’t like. American radio listeners, raised on a diet of_____ (fill in the blank), have experienced a musical universe so small they cannot begin to know what they like."
~Frank Zappa
My Reason:
          The first quote I put on the site. Without this one single quote I might’ve not have started the Best Quote of the Week segment. If you been coming to the site then you know that I a huge fan of music. I love music. I always go out of my way to listen to various artists and genres (even now, writing this I've listened to several albums from Rock to J-Pop and now Glitch [The Nothings of the North by Ametsub]). This quotes rings so true for me. I first encountered this quote that day actually (2/11/11) and was like, “Yeah, that’s awesome! That’s great! I’m ending the post with that.” I don’t even think I was looking to end that post with a quote when I found it. I've always been what this quote says and wish more people were like this. It’s directly responsible for me starting the Best Quote of the Week segment and why I started the musica es musica segment (I’m going to do more this year. I promise). This is a fantastic quote. It fits me, it fits the site, it’s my number 1 quote from my 2011 Best Quotes of the Weeks.


This is a really amazing novel




Honorable Mentions


Number 1Best (Belated) Quote of the Week ~ [7/15/11]
          "We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon... we choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."
~ John F. Kennedy on September 12th, 1962
My Reason:
          This is a really great quote, amazing even, and everyone has heard it and been moved by it. I really love this quote too and if I would have just wrote the first part of it as the quote of the week it would have made the list. I feel that the wordiness of the quote sort of loses some of its impact when you read it as opposed to hearing it. It’s my list and that’s my decision.


Number 2Best Quote of the Week ~ [9/25/11]
          "I'm not going to rape you! I'm a little boy."
~A joke by John Mulaney
My Reason:
          This joke is really funny and John Mulaney is a great comedian. Why it’s here in the honorable mentions section and not on the list is because of number 6 on the list. I felt that the two jokes were in a similar vein to each other and it was a tossup between the two and number 6 won.


Number 3Best Quote of the Week ~ [8/14/11]
          "I am like a god! I piss on you...from a great height."
~Jason Slade from Honor and Glory
My Reason:
          Okay. When you read this quote it’s not anything special which is why it didn’t make the cut, however if you ever go and watch Honor and Glory (or Obscurus Lupa’s review of the movie) and actually hear the sweet, sweet B-movie delivery of the line—Oooohhh, you will know why it made the honorable mentions!

No comments:

Post a Comment